In May 1946 the station was taken over by 60 Group as a satellite of Watton Radio Warfare Establishment, and some Ansons and Lancasters were positioned here.
The RAF left Newmarket Heath in Summer 1945 but after 1946 light aircraft continued to deliver people to the races at this airstrip.
The large establishment for training the recruits needed by the Third Infantry Division at Gibralter Barracks and Blenheim Camp, (West Lines), was now scaled down.
It was re-designated as Number 12 Primary Training Centre under Lt Colonel Milnes, late of 1 Suffolk.
On 8th August No 3 Group's Major Servicing Unit was installed at RAF Mildenhall, and the two operational squadrons were then removed to RAF Wyton.
Honington remained as HQ for the American VIII AF Fighter Command until 26th February 1946.
In September 1946 Stradishall reverted to 3 Group and five squadrons of Lancasters were based here until February 1949.
In April 1946 Numbers 149 and 207 Squadrons had arrived at RAF Tuddenham, although only on half strength.
RAF equipment was on show, together with some captured enemy ordnance, including a V-1 flying bomb.
Proceeds were donated to St Dunstan's Hostel for the Blind.